Every day I hear about the DO’s and DON’Ts of CLASSROOM MANAGEMENT. Teachers complain that they are not able to handle their class effectively and due to which the lesson that they have to convey suffers a lot. Classroom discipline certainly do plays an important role and is the teachers number one priority.
The educators are of view that discipline is the key for effective teaching. And it is the number one reason for TEACHER BURNOUT, adding to dissatisfaction, depression and anxiety.
Classroom management stands for a variety of techniques, methods, or skills employed by the teacher in having an organised class, disciplined students, who are active listeners, are attentive, and focus on academics, to be productive and enthusiastic in class.
If in a classroom the classroom management techniques are implied or carried out effectively, the behavior of the students improves and it in turn enhances their study skills, keeping them more engaged in lesson.
It is a general believe that effective teachers display effective and strong management skills in class, while teachers have display short comings in classroom management tend to have an indiscipline class.
Teachers role in a class is of a facilitator, one who acts as a moderator between the lesson and students. The body language of the teacher, the material the teacher uses to enhance the lesson, and the environment the teacher creates tend to bring a whole new positive energy in the class.
On the other hand if the material or activities used for supporting lesson are not effective, the lesson is poorly designed, not engaging or interesting, or the expectations are not clear, leads to major let down for the whole lesson. The students loose the interest, there might be an increase in behavioral problems, aggression or frustration might generate.
Classroom management strategies are just not something that can be written on the paper and to be strictly followed, though I will be focusing on a few in the end. Classroom management is nothing sophisticated, the presence of mind, patience, creativity, a positive attitude and a passion for the profession keeps the water flowing.
To start with:
- Develop supportive and caring environment with and among the students.
- Organize the class, and lay down the objective of the lesson.
- Use appropriate interventions to handle inappropriate behavior problem of students, and deal with situation positively and patiently.
- Focus on developmental needs of the students, improve on social skills among the students to make the classroom environment positive.
- Develop and focus on INDIVIDUAL BEHAVIOR PLAN with help of counsellor.
- Work with incentive charts or grading charts in class, or any method that let the students know what is desired from them.
- Focus on positively handling the situation, instead of resorting to child abuse.
- Reinforce for positive behavior and restrain from negatively reinforcing the negative or inappropriate behavior.
- Make use of token system for approved behavior.
- It always serves to have a regular class routines, one which the students feel comfortable in, and know what is expected of them, as it makes it easier for them to settle down and the teacher can begin with the lesson.
- Assign responsibilities to students for certain tasks, especially for the students who you think tend to disrupt the class. It will keep them engage in something positive.